All doctors’ surgeries are required to have a patient participation group, and one has been in existence for several years here in Burley. In the past, the PPG has conducted surveys, hosted open talks and events, and run various health promotion events.
The patient representatives have continued to meet on Zoom during lockdown and are now keen to review the purpose and remit of the PPG, to attract more members and to develop a programme of work for the coming year.
What does a Patient Participation Group do?
PPGs can play a number of roles, including:
- Advising the practice on patient views
- Carrying out research into patient and carer views
- Organising health promotion events
- Communicating with patients
- Running support groups to meet local needs
- Influencing the commissioning of services
- Fundraising to improve services provided by the practice
Present PPG members are:
Gill Bowskill (chair)
Supported by Suzanne Smith (assistant practice manager)
Patient Reference Group